Monday, June 6, 2011
Step one is rough conceptualizing and layout. Because this is a stand-alone poster, I decide to split the image between the poem itself and the visual and select a long format to accommodate the text. I want the Jabberwocky to be scary, but also a little whimsical and non-senseical. I want it to feel like he is a creature of chaos, like he's part bird, lizard insect and plant all in one. I also want to highlight the bravery of our young protagonist by choosing a composition that shows him plunging into a roiling mass of monster.
At this stage I avoid color so I can just focus on getting a value structure down. Next I'll refine this concept into a sketch.
(1 hour total time)
(2 hours total time)
Here I add an absurdly small and sickly bat wing, feathers down it's back and insect-like legs. I also decide to add a jub-jub bird to give so more specificity to the piece.
(5 hours total time)
I also finish the text in illustrator, complete with a little dragon made of gold vines, and add a bevel filter and texture in photoshop (I know it's a bit cheesy but oh well)
(7 hours total time)
(12 hours total)